Monday, December 17, 2007

23 weeks: doctor visit

We had our doctor visit today. The ultrasound pictures were disappointing but the kids look great. They are getting bigger by the day and I am feeling it in every way. The boy is 1 lbs 1 oz and the girl is 1 lbs. 2 oz. and my uterus now measures 28 inches. We saw the boys face, as in non-skeleton and he has my lips, he has a strong looking chin, and looks like my nose. As for the girl, the boy kicked her in the head when we were looking at her and she was busy hitting him back to pay attention to us. Doctor Reed is very pleased with their progress and the growth rate. The fact I have gained so little over the first part of the pregnancy is good as well. I will most likely gain more than 11 lbs over the second part, which I am actually supposed to gain 24 more pounds but I don't see that happening.

We discussed a lot about the pregnancy during this visit. We selected the pediatrician for Houston and she gave nothing but praise about our choice. We still have not managed to make it to the hospital to finish the pre-registering, so that is still on the infamous to-do-list that we are so known for. Besides that we have scheduled the Gestational Diabetes test for Jan 8th at 9:30am. That is sure to be fun and joyous. After that test I get my lovely green card which I must carry around with me at all times. Other than that we talked about cord blood... it is very expensive and each cord will be an individual cost but they might offer twin discounts, as of right now that is not in Jeramie or my budget even though I would like to store it for possible use for Leo or any other family member that might need it. We also talked about exercise. I am to not over do it... this is a high risk pregnancy but I can still continue exercising lightly. Walking being pretty much the only activity she suggested. As of lately I couldn't handle much more than that anyways. We also discussed Braxton hicks contractions... since I am at risk of preterm labor we talked about the symptoms to look for and she showed me on my stomach what to look for due to preterm labor sometimes having no painful contractions associated with it and I have already experienced these types of contractions... which is normal in twin pregnancy at this stage. Then the lovely talk about delivery. Vaginal if it can happen. 1st kid has to be head down to do vaginally, the 2nd kid can be head down, if breech she will still delivery vaginally and if need be (this is where I was freaking and looking at her like she was insane) she can reach up inside me and turn the baby as long as this baby is the smaller of the two and can be sure it can travel through the birth canal. Okay ummm it is official... can you say COW. They do this to cows and I look the size of one right now and it is only getting worse by the day. I saw a lady pregnant with twins... she was huge. I am a little freaked.

Anyways I am tired must lay down... update more later and pics to be added soon.

No comments: